February 11, 2012

Leo's Chicken Wings



This may sound "un-American" of me, but I am not a fan of chicken wings. They are messy, I don't like eating with my hands at restaurants, and I'm just not fond of buffalo sauce. My husband on the other hand could eat chicken wings everyday...with extra Blue Cheese! I realize there are different flavors and rubs, bone-in or boneless, etc.  The bottom line is I can easily pass them up.


Then one day, in the beginning of our marriage, my husband made HIS chicken wings and I fell in love (with the wings - I'm already in love with my husband). Couldn't stop eating them...for real!  They are more on the Asian side in flavor, which I love - no buffalo sauce on these babies. If you are like me or if you are just looking for a different twist on wings, give these a try.

Leo's Chicken Wings

7-8 lbs fresh chicken wings (cut in 1/2 and slice off tips)
1 tbsp chopped garlic
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp honey
2/3 cup of low sodium soy sauce
1 tsp dry mustard
garlic salt

Put all wings in roasting pan (big pan, a 9x13 is not big enough) and sprinkle with garlic salt. Combine all ingredients for sauce in a bowl and whisk together. Pour over wings and toss together until well coated. Let set overnight in fridge, or for at least 4 hours. Bake at 325 for 1 1/2 hours stirring about every 15 minutes. Then turn oven up to 425 to brown the wings up and thicken the sauce. Be sure to stir every 8-10 minutes or as needed to avoid burning.

1 comment:

  1. Your recipe would be a great alternative for the traditional buffalo sauce for chicken wings. And it is good to hear that you still appreciate what your husband prepared for you! I’m sure from now on, chicken wings will be added on your list of your favorite food! I think you can agree to me that once you taste it, you’ll keep coming back for more.

    ReplyDelete