March 15, 2012

Corn Chowder

Pin It
For a while now people have been telling me that I should get on Pinterest.  They've gone on and on about how fun it is, and how much they know I'd love it.  Even though several people had explained to me what it was all about, it didn't make much sense to me and I couldn't figure out why people are so in to it.

So over this past weekend I dove into the pool that is Pinterest.  NOW I get it and like I hear from everyone who is on it....I am addicted!  Like I need another thing on the computer to capture my attention for hours at a time.  What I really need is to pull out my 500 piece puzzle and see if I can't make a dent in it, or spend some time reading a book, or spend some time doing some spring cleaning, or spend some time doing some quilting, etc.  Another thing on the computer....not so much.  I try to tell myself that I am getting some great ideas for when I redo our bedroom so I feel somewhat productive while I'm on there pinning away.  I guess I'll just have to keep telling myself that until, hopefully, the urge to get on there passes ;)

There aren't a lot of soups or chowders that my husband feels are substantial enough to have for dinner.  He generally feels like they aren't filling enough.  However, he does like corn chowder and this one will definitely fill you up.  This is a nice thick chowder that is delicious and comforting on a cold winter night.

New England Corn Chowder

4 strips bacon, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
¼ cup fresh parsley
2 large cans creamed corn
2 large cans whole corn
3 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream or ½ & ½
Salt and pepper to taste
8 drops tobasco sauce, or to taste
4 cups chicken stock
2 large potatoes, cooked and diced
¼ cup flour mixed well into a little chicken stock to make a “paste”

Saute the bacon, onion and celery together slowly until tender.  Add the remaining ingredients, and simmer for 45 minutes.  Add cooked potatoes and the flour mix, and let simmer another 15 minutes or until thickened.  Serves about 8.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good. Will have to try soon as the corn comes in from the garden this summer. Thanks for posting (ps, I'm not really sure about the whole Pintrest thing, either. We food blog, and I need to get into that one of these days! :-)

    Oh, PSS - your hubby might like gumbo as a main dish soup, too. We've got a recipe on our blog for it if you'd like to try it out. Very filling!

    Kay

    http://threeheadedchef.blogspot.com/2013/03/gumbo.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Kay. I've had gumbo but never made it at home (had to make it occasionally in my previous job though). I'm pretty sure my husbands never had it, so great idea! I'll definitely be heading over to check our your recipe - thanks!

      Delete