March 27, 2012

Eggplant Parmesan



Are you a stress eater?  I tend to reach for goodies when I'm stressed out, but obviously that's not a good habit so instead I try to channel that desire to eat into something else.  So instead I start cleaning like a maniac....now to some people who know me that may not sound surprising.  However, the truth is that I am more of a "neat freak" not a "clean freak" - meaning my house is almost always tidy but it's not clean.  For instance, if you were to look at the tops of my curtains there is most likely good layer of dust, or if you look closely at the ceiling in the half bath you'll probably see cobwebs.  I like everything to be tidy and put away, but as far as the real cleaning goes.....I'm just not into it! 

Anyway, I was a little stressed out recently, but I was tired too so cleaning to relieve the stress wasn't doing it for me.  So I turned to food, but instead of unhealthy stuff I decided to make one of my favorite things to eat in hopes that it would give me a little comfort - eggplant Parmesan.  I loooove eggplant Parmesan....it's like lasagna but better because it's healthier!  Even though I bread my eggplant slices before cooking them and assembling the dish, I don't fry them - instead the breaded eggplant slices are baked in the oven.  I don't really like breaded and fried eggplant....too greasy for me.  Cook up some garlic bread to go with this delicious meal and I promise it will comfort you too!


Eggplant Parmesan

2 large eggplants
3 cups tomato sauce (homemade or bought is fine – I like to make a meat sauce with mushrooms in it for this dish)
8 oz sliced mozzarella
2 eggs
2-4 cups (start with 2 and add more if needed) of seasoned breadcrumbs
Olive oil
Grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella
                  
Preheat oven to 375. Line 2 baking sheets with aluminum foil and coat each pan with olive oil (it’s easier if you spread it around with your fingers).  Peel and slice eggplant about a ¼ inch thick.  In a small bowl whisk together the eggs with about a tablespoon of water.  Pour 2 cups of seasoned bread crumbs on a plate and set aside.  You will dip all the eggplant in the egg mixture and then dredge in the bread crumbs and set each piece onto the baking sheets.  Once you’ve finished this process you will need to drizzle a little olive oil on top of each piece of eggplant.  Place in oven and cook for about a ½ hour, turning each slice of eggplant after 15 minutes.  The eggplant should be a nice golden brown, so increase your cooking time if need be.
 
Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.  Spoon about a ½ cup of sauce onto the bottom of the pan, then add one layer of the cooked eggplant.  Top the eggplant sauce and then the sliced mozzarella, and repeat process with more eggplant/sauce/cheese (mine is usually 3-4 layers high, depending on the deepness of the dish I’m using).  The last layer will be just the eggplant topped with sauce, then sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top, and end with a layer of the shredded mozzarella cheese.  Bake at 350 for about a ½ hour or until hot and bubbly.

15 comments:

  1. hello, your post is great. keep going and let more and more people vistit your blog regularly. check this site www.foods.itspunched.com it may help you to promote your blog!!! there is a link in main menu called "Punch yourseklf", once you are logged in, u can submit your blog/site there :) anyway all the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful, but I'm on Weight Watchers and would love to know the nutritional value.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, I do not know the nutritional value. I would think there's got to be a way to figure it out though. Let me know if you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks really good! I'm definitely going to try making it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for your recipe! I made it tonight for my family and we polished the entire 9x13 dish! (I doubled the recipe). Love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am so happy to hear you all liked it - thank you for letting me know :)

      Delete
  6. Great recipe/ mmmmm good/is there any way to print just the recipe? thank you and have a great evening. dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not, as of yet, figured out how to set that up. I would suggest copy and pasting to Word then printing. I hope to have that featured added soon :)

      Delete
  7. Made it tonight for my family! It looks great! I made it ahead of time and put it in the fridge to bake later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks delicious! How many does this serve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just finished the last of a batch I made a few days ago. It will definitely serve 4, and maybe 6 depending on how big you cut it. Enjoy!

      Delete
  9. Going to make this tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete