March 25, 2012

Overnight Cinnamon Rolls



I LOVE cinnamon rolls, however, let's face it - they are not great for the thighs. Because of that I do not make them very often, but once in a while I get a craving for them and when I do I want them to be worth it. I want them to be soft and decadent, and most of all I want the glaze to be like the glaze on the Pillsbury cinnamon rolls. I'm not a big fan of the powdered sugar glaze you find in most recipes, so I finally figured out that the closest I could find to the Pillsbury glaze is actually a cream cheese glaze. Some of you are probably thinking "Duh", but what can I say.....it took me a little while to figure it out!

Lastly, I want to eat these for breakfast (alright, sometimes I sneak them for dessert...whatever!) and I don't want to mess with putting them together in the morning. If I make them it has to go in the fridge the night before so the next morning all I have to do is turn the oven on and pop them in.

This recipe hits all my requirements and is, to me anyway, the ultimate cinnamon roll. Mmmm, my stomach is growling just thinking about them......


Overnight Cinnamon Rolls1 cup warm milk
2 eggs, at room temperature
1/3 cup butter melted
4 1/2 cups bread flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 package of active dry yeast - .25oz

Dissolve yeast in warm milk in the bowl of your electric mixer, fitted with the dough hook. Add sugar, flour, salt, eggs and melted butter. Mix/knead on medium speed until dough is smooth, about 4-6 minutes. Spray large bowl with cooking spray, place dough in bowl, cover and let rise in warm place for about an hour or until doubled in size.

In small bowl combine 1 cup of brown sugar and 2 tbsps of cinnamon. Roll out dough onto floured surface into a rectangle about 1/4 inch thick. Spread dough with 1/3 cup of softened butter and sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon mixture.

Gently roll dough into a long log and cut into 12 rolls. Spray a 13 inch pan with cooking spray and place rolls into pan. Cover and place in fridge overnight. In the morning I take them out and let them rise on the counter for about 30-45 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake until golden brown, 20-25 minutes.

While rolls are baking beat together 2 oz softened cream cheese, 2 tbsp of softened butter, 3/4 cup confectioners sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/4 tsp salt until smooth. Spread onto rolls when they come out of oven. YUM!!!!

4 comments:

  1. These were so good! One of the best cinnamon recipes I've had/made. The dough for some reason took eight hours to double in size so I thought it was ruined at first but I kept going anyway and they turned out scrumptious. I doubled the glaze though:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I happen to think they are pretty amazing myself ☺ That is odd though about the dough taking so long to rise.....could be that your yeast wasn't good (that's happened to me before). Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I made these for fathers day, turned out AMAZING! My husband's favorite thing is cinnamon rolls and he said these by far beat out cinnabon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad he liked them and I have to agree that they are amazing ☺ Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete