May 8, 2012

Chicken Chili



Years ago I saw Ina Garten make this dish on the Food Network.  I thought it was such a great idea to make a chicken chili.  Everyone loves chili, and using chicken instead of beef is the perfect way to make it a little healthier - GENIUS!  So I set out to make it right away.  

I LOVE this chili.  I like it better than beef chili.  In fact, this dish is one of my all time favorite meals.  I have adapted it to my personal preferences - Ina's version has only a little chili powder and cumin, and no beans.  Chili just isn't chili without beans, and I felt it needed more chili powder and cumin to give it more of a chili flavor.  

This is a hearty and healthy chili, perfect on a cold Vermont night!

Chicken Chili  

2 large onions, chopped
1/8 cup olive oil
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 yellow pepper, cut up into chunks
1 orange pepper, cut up into chunks
1 red pepper, cut up into chunks
2 tbsp+ chili powder
2 tsp+ cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp salt
2 (28 oz) cans pureed tomatoes
1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
4 chicken breasts
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained (can use kidney beans instead)
Shredded Cheddar cheese for topping

Coat the chicken with garlic pepper salt.  Cook in pan on stove-top, or roast in oven until cooked thru. Let cool enough so that you can pull it apart/shred it (you can cut into cubes if you like instead) and set aside.

Cook the onions in the oil over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in the bell peppers, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and salt and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the tomato puree and basil. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes stirring every now and then. Add chicken and beans, and simmer for at least a half an hour.  Top with you favorite chili toppings.  Serves 6-8.

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to make chicken chili for a while and this recipe looks delicious. I love that you used orange and yellow peppers - I usually use red and green. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete