May 31, 2012

Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Chicken


Several weeks ago I came across this recipe for jalapeno popper stuffed chicken, and I thought "Mmmmm....now that sounds good!"  I knew it was going to the top of the pile of recipes I've been wanting to try.  I love chicken, but let's face it - it can get boring, to cook and to eat.  

Since both my husband and I love jalapeno poppers, I figured he might enjoy this dish as well.  So last week I set out to make it.  After I threw it together and put it in the oven, my left hand started to hurt.  It felt like I had paper-cuts all over my hand but I couldn't find any.  Not long after my other hand started to hurt....then it hit me - they were burning from handling the jalapeno peppers!  Haha, mystery solved.  Unfortunately they burned for a few hours, but once I figured out why I was able to ignore it. 

The burning hands were a small price to pay for this wonderful dish!  My son, who has never tried a jalapeno popper, LOVED this recipe.  So did my husband and I.  It's full of flavor, and it was just so nice to try something different and to discover a new dish that we all enjoyed.  My husband, whose favorite chicken dish is Chicken Cordon Bleu, said he liked this better!  I was shocked by this declaration.  This dish is now added to our "favorites" pile and will become part of the "chicken rotation".  You gotta try this one.... 



Jalapeño Popper Stuffed Chicken adapted from Skinnytaste.com

2 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
3 jalapeños, chopped (remove seeds for milder)
3 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
4 oz reduced fat shredded cheddar jack
2 tbsp chopped scallions
8 thin sliced skinless chicken breast cutlets
1/2 cup Italian seasoned whole wheat breadcrumbs
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and fresh pepper
olive oil non-stick spray

Preheat oven to 450° & spray a large baking dish with non-stick spray. Washand dry chicken cutlets, season with salt and pepper.  Combine cream cheese, cheddar, scallions, jalapeño and bacon crumbles in a medium bowl.
Lay chicken cutlets on a working surface and spread 2 tbsp of cream cheese mixture on each cutlet. Loosely roll each one, secure the ends with toothpicks to prevent the cheese from oozing out.  Place breadcrumbs in a bowl; in a second bowl combine olive oil with salt and pepper.

Dip chicken in oil, then in breadcrumbs and place seam side down on a baking dish. Repeat with the remaining chicken. When finished, lightly spray the top of the chicken with oil spray. 
Bake for 22-25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.  Serves 4 (2 per person).

1 comment: