May 3, 2012

Rhubarb Crisp


I got this recipe from the kitchen at the school I used to work at.  One year a local farm gave us tons of rhubarb, so we used it to make this rhubarb crisp.  I was skeptical about how it would turn out, and was very surprised to discover that it didn't turn out at all how I thought it would.  The texture is almost like a custard....that's the only way I can think of to describe it.  The kids at school loved it, I loved it, so I decided to try it at home for my family.

The first time I made it my step-daughter informed me that she had never eaten rhubarb before, and so she was very cautious about trying it.  Curiosity got the better of her, and in the end she liked it so much she ate about half the pan by herself! 

If you have an over-abundance of rhubarb, and are looking for something different, give this recipe a try!



Rhubarb Crisp

1 cup all purpose flour
Dash of salt
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten slightly
3 cups diced rhubarb (about 3 large stalks)
¾ cup brown sugar
¼ cup butter

Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray, and preheat the oven to 350.  Mix ¼ cup flour, salt, sugar and eggs together in a medium sized bowl.  Add the diced rhubarb and pour into baking dish. 

Combine the brown sugar, ¾ cup flour and the butter in bowl of food processor and pulse until mixture resembles fine crumbs.  Sprinkle over the rhubarb mixture and bake for about 45 minutes. Serves 5-6.

6 comments:

  1. I've tried this with berries and it was sooooo delicious! Thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I never thought to use berries with this one. Thanks so much for commenting & glad you liked it!

      Delete
  2. I have made this 2 times, screwed up both times! But it was still very good. Didn't last more than a few hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhubarb is something I do not have much experience with. This looks lovely! Very refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My rhubarb in the garden is doing well at the moment, or one plant is anyway. This recipe sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might have to buy some rhubarb this weekend at the greenmarket... this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete