September 28, 2012

Pork with Sauerkraut



Back in July I visited my Aunt Judy in Maine, and one night for dinner she made this pork with sauerkraut dish.  When she told me what she was making I figured it would be fine, but didn't expect to love it.  I forgot how much I love sauerkraut.  There must be something in the blood of anyone who is German because we all seem to love sauerkraut.

I did wonder in the back of my mind how my son would like it, but those German genes must have kicked in for him too because he loved it also!  This is such a quick and easy dish to throw together - totally perfect for a busy weeknight.  Serve it with apple sauce, mashed potatoes and a vegetable of choice for a satisfying and comforting meal. 

Sauerkraut Pork

2 1/2 pork roast
1, 10oz can cream of mushroom soup
1/2-1lb sauerkraut (amount depends on how much you like) - fresh is best, but use whatever you can find
1 cup water
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 350, and spray a 11x7 baking dish or roasting pan with cooking spray.  Dump the sauerkraut, mushroom soup and water into the pan and stir to combine.  Rinse your pork roast and pat it dry, then season with salt & pepper on all sides (I also sprinkled a little onion and garlic powder on it).  Place pork in pan and pop it in the oven.  Cook for about 45-60 minutes, or until pork is completely cooked.  Feel free to spoon some of the sauerkraut mixture over top of the pork every occasionally while it's cooking to keep the pork moist.

7 comments: