February 21, 2013

French Onion Stuffed Mushrooms


I've had a craving for steak lately.  For me the perfect side dish for steak is stuffed mushrooms, but most of the time I don't feel like making them.  I usually tend to do a side dish of sauteed mushrooms and onions instead, and pair it with a salad.  However, it's been a while since I've made stuffed mushrooms so I decided to give it ago.  Only this time I decided to skip the usual "stuffing type" stuffed mushrooms and go with a french onion stuffed mushroom instead (a variation of the usual side dish).

I do believe I like these better than the "stuffing type".  I honestly couldn't get enough of them.  Rich, and just down right delicious.  I know there are people out there that actually don't like onions (I'm not sure how that's even possible, but there are a couple in my family), so this take on stuffed mushrooms probably wouldn't be for them.  However, if you like french onion soup and you like mushrooms, I do believe you'd love these babies.  They are pretty simple to make....actually they may even be easier to make than the traditional stuffed mushrooms!  Try them....I think you'll love them. 


French Onion Stuffed Mushrooms

1 & 1/2 onions or 1 very large onion, sliced thin
2 tbsp butter
2 packages of baby bella mushrooms (22-24) mushrooms, stems removed
Keep about 1/2 of the stems and chop them up finely
1/4 cup red wine
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 Gruyere cheese, shredded
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp seasoned bread crumbs
Salt & Pepper

Preheat oven to 350 and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.  Melt 2 tbsp of butter in a large skillet on medium-low heat.  Add the onions and saute for 20 minutes, then add the chopped mushroom stems and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.  Add the wine, Worcestershire sauce, a dash of salt & pepper and continue cooking for about 5-10 minutes more or until the most of the liquid evaporates.  Remove the onion mixture from pan and place in a glass bowl or on a plate. 

To the now empty skillet, add the mushrooms and saute on each side for a couple of minutes (if the pan seems dry you can add a little more butter).  Remove from heat and add the onion filling to each mushroom.  In a small bowl and melt the 1 tbsp of butter in the microwave.  Add the seasoned bread crumbs to the melted butter and stir to combine.  Top each filled mushroom with the Gruyere cheese, then sprinkle on the bread crumbs.  Place mushrooms on the baking sheet and cook in the oven for 15 minutes.  Serves 4.

8 comments:

  1. Joy,
    I just happen to have some gruyere cheese in my fridge which is not something that happens very often. I'm definitely going to try these out tomorrow. I'll let you know how they go over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope you all like them! Can't wait to hear :)

      Delete
  2. Mushrooms and onions are two of my all-time favourite things. I think having a steak with them would distract me from the mushroomy goodness. I'm making these SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually just pair my steak with Sauteed Mushrooms, but I think I'm going to get adventurous this weekend! This recipe sounds fantastic, especially since I'm also a huge onion fan....mmmm thanks for sharing!!

    -Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm... can I say YUM? I love mushrooms, and these look too delicious!

    ReplyDelete