February 7, 2013

Goat Cheese & Apple Stuffed Chicken



As I've mentioned before, my husband travels often for work, and when he does I take that opportunity to cook things that he wouldn't be interested in.  This particular recipe was inspired by my wonderful Aunt Judy, who absolutely loves goat cheese.  In this beautiful state of Vermont we have many local goat cheese makers to choose from, so every summer when I visit my Aunt I bring her some goat cheese.  She's been on my mind lately because my cousin (my Aunt's only daughter) just got engaged and so we've been doing a lot of emailing about wedding plans. Today is my Aunt's birthday:  Happy Birthday Aunt Judy!  If you lived closer I would make this for you tonight ♥

When my husband told me which day he'd be out of town this week, I knew instantly that I was going to make this dish.  It's so good....but you have to like goat cheese.  If you don't, you may not like this recipe.  I happen to think that the tang of the goat cheese and the sweetness of the apple are a match made in heaven.  You can of course skip making the sauce, however I like it because it keeps the chicken nice and moist.  It also adds just a little more sweetness with a bit of herb flavoring as well.  It's perfect....if I do say so myself!  PS - I apologize for the not so great pictures - they really don't do this dish justice!

2/8/13 Update:  So, when my husband came home he saw the leftovers of this dish in the fridge and asked what it was.  I explained the dish to him and he asked if he could try it, so I warmed it up for him, all along thinking "Oh boy, he's so not going to like this."  He took one bite and said "THAT is REALLY good!  I would love it if you'd make that for me sometime."  Go figure.....every time I think he won't like something he surprises me.


Goat Cheese & Apple Stuffed Chicken

4 skinless chicken breasts
4 oz good quality goat cheese
1 apple - peeled, cored & diced
1 egg
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs

Sauce:
2/3 cup white wine (I used Reisling because it's sweeter, but you can also use apple juice or cider instead)
1/2 cup chicken stock
2 tsp sugar
Sprig of fresh rosemary
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tbsp water
Salt & Pepper

Sauce:  Bring the wine, chicken stock, sugar & rosemary to a boil in a small saucepan.  Reduce heat to medium-low and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.  In a small bowl mix together the cornstarch and water until smooth, then whisk it in to the sauce to thicken it a little.  Add a dash of salt and pepper, stir then set aside until it's time to serve.

Place the chicken breasts in between 2 pieces of plastic wrap, and pound them out until they are about 1/4" thick.  Season with salt & pepper.  In another bowl, mix together the apple and goat cheese.  Divide the cheese mixture between the 4 pieces of chicken, spreading it on just one 1/2 of each piece.  Fold the other 1/2 of each piece of chicken over, pressing the edges together to form a pocket.

In a large cast iron skillet, heat about 1-2 tbsp of olive oil until hot.  In another bowl whisk the egg, and place the 1/2 cup bread crumbs on a plate.  Dip each piece of chicken into the egg to coat each side, then dredge each piece of chicken in the bread crumbs to coat each side.  Place the chicken into the skillet, and cook until browned all over and juices run clear (about 8-10 minutes on each side).  While it's cooking you can turn the sauce back on low heat, stirring to get it warmed through.  When chicken is done, serve it with a drizzle of the sauce on top. 

9 comments:

  1. I've had goat cheese with sun dried tomatoes and that was a delicious combo! Haven't tried it with apples yet but it sounds like a good idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope you try it because the flavors blend together so well, and it would be a shame if no one but me realizes that, haha! Thanks for stopping by & commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi what is chicken stock? Is this chicken broth? If so, is it half a cup?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Holly. Chicken stock is pretty much the same thing as chicken broth, and yes it is 1/2 a cup (sorry about that). Hope you will give this one a try & thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for commenting & I'm so glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found your blog the other day through Pinterest and I love it! There are so many great healthy recipes. I only wish you had a Facebook account to make it easier to follow! I made this recipe last night and it was wonderful. I was all out white wine, so I used red wine and it was still great. I will definitely be making this again along with trying lots of other recipes from your site!

    ReplyDelete
  6. find more information go now see this website replica bags china their explanation important link

    ReplyDelete