July 29, 2013

Mexican Quinoa


I am new to the world of quinoa.  Ever had it?  It really is such an amazing food.  Texture is like rice, size is like couscous (just a little smaller), and it resembles rice in the way it tastes.  It's a very versatile food, and like rice, it's a blank canvas for adding any flavors your heart desires.  Plus it's has protein, so it's a great substitute for meat.

At the moment I am all about experimenting with this stuff.  This my latest concoction.  I loved this!  I had it for lunch three times this week.  I love that it keeps me full for a long time too (much easier to resist snacking when you are full).  I'm excited to try out the many other ideas that have been racing through my mind in the future!


Mexican Quinoa

Cook 1 cup quinoa according to package directions (should make about 2 cups cooked)
1 cup black beans, rinsed
1 cup corn
4 scallions, chopped
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 cup red or orange pepper, diced

Dressing:

Zest & juice from one lime
1 tbsp agave nectar
1/4 tsp salt & pepper to taste
3 tbsp olive oil

Whisk together the dressing ingredients.  Once the quinoa is cooked, place it in a medium sized bowl.  Add the black beans, corn, pepper, cilantro, scallions to the quinoa and stir to combine.  Add the dressing and toss to coat evenly.  This is a great dish served warm or cold!

7 comments:

  1. For those of us who are genetically wired to associate the taste of cilantro as being equivalent to having your mouth washed with soap (!!*!) do you have a good substitute herb?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I LOVE cilantro!! It's hard to substitute cilantro because the flavor is so closely related to lots of Mexican dishes, so if you just want to use a different herb and don't care about the flavor then I'd pick which ever one is your favorite. Parsley, or maybe basil. Good luck ☺

      Delete
  2. This recipe sounds good. I have been using quinoa as a substitute for bulgar wheat for tabouli. The quinoa is lighter and works well with the tomatoes, parsley, mint, green onions, oil and lemon juice and a dash of cumin. It's my "to go" lunch for work with a side of some leftover diced chicken. Enjoy your blog very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds yummy Sue - thanks for commenting! ☺

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! Your dedication to providing healthy recipes to others has gotten our attention. We like your awesomeness and invite you to share your culinary creations on our new recipe index site dedicated to recipes such as these, which help to promote health and longevity. For more information please visit our site: www.healthyrecipeverified.com .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Αw, this was an exceptionally good post. Takіng a few minuteѕ aand actual effort to make a top notch аrtіcle… butt what can I say… I procrastinate a llot
    and don't seem tto get anything done.

    Mʏ weblog: battle born mma

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's very easy to find out any matter on net as compared to books, as I found this article at this web
    page.

    Visit my weblog - Beats By Dre

    ReplyDelete