August 28, 2013

Doughnut Muffins

 
Summer may not be officially over, but let's face it, when the kids go back to school summer is over.  My son started 10th grade on Monday, so it's back to the grind for this family!  I'm not sure what happened exactly, but I feel like I completely missed the entire summer.  Lucky for me, my husband and I decided to take a vacation this February in Antigua to celebrate our 10 year anniversary.  So now I don't feel so bad about not getting to enjoy the summer that is now over......I have Antigua to look forward to!   YIPPEE ☺

Since school is in session once again, and my son has soccer practice everyday after school, I knew I needed to whip up some kind of snack for him to have in between.  It's been a while since I've made muffins so I figured I'd make these.  They are definitely a cross between a doughnut and a muffin - yummy doughnut texture in muffin form, topped with a yummy glaze.  You really can't go wrong with this tasty snack!  Enjoy your last official days of summer ☺


Doughnut Muffins (adapted from a King Arthur recipe)

Muffins:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
3/4 tsp salt
2 2/3 cups flour
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk

Glaze:
3 tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp + milk (add more if needed)

Preheat oven to 400 and spray a muffin pan with cooking spray.  In a large bowl, beat together the butter, oil and both sugars until smooth.  Add the eggs one at a time and beat to combine.  Add the baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and salt and mix until just incorporated.  Gently stir in the flour, alternating with the milk - DO NOT OVERMIX.

Distribute the batter evenly into your muffin pan, and bake until toothpick comes out clean - about 15-20 minutes.  Cool in pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool another 10 minutes.  Dip each muffin into the glaze and set aside to harden. 

For the glaze: whisk all ingredients together until smooth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment