August 2, 2013

Turkey Burgers

 
Let me start by saying this - I LOVE burgers.  All kinds, however, the stranger the toppings the better!  I would go as far as to say that it would perhaps be my "last meal" request.....although I'd have to carefully consider that, but it would be a top contender for sure.  Turkey burgers though...well let's just say I haven't come across one that I would say was "really good."  They are usually too dry, or without much flavor.  For this reason, I can't remember the last time I had one!

The reason I decided to attempt making my own is simple - I am not allowed to eat beef at the moment.  There's only so much fish, roasted turkey and bison a girl can eat.  So after much thought (yes, this required "much thought") I chose to try my hand at a Thanksgiving type themed turkey burger.  I added a little bit of applesauce for moisture, a little chopped fresh rosemary for flavor, then I topped it with a blackberry preserve mixed with a little ketchup and a sprinkle of goat cheese.  I contemplated putting the goat cheese inside the burger, but since I didn't have much goat cheese I decided to save that idea for another time.

My husband cooked it on the grill for me, so I can not say how long on each side he cooked it for.  What I can tell you is that this burger was delicious!  I really, really loved it.  I will admit that I was doubtful I'd like it that much, so it was such a nice surprise when I realized after that first bite that this was indeed a good burger.  So even if you are not a fan of turkey burgers, give this one a try.....it just may surprise you too!


Little B's Turkey Burger

1 1/4 lb ground turkey
1/2 cup apple sauce
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
2 tbsp softened or melted (but not hot) coconut oil (you could probably leave this out but they may not turn out to be so moist)
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped

Add everything to a large glass bowl and mix gently to thoroughly combine.  Form into patties - I got 5 burger patties from this.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.  Cook until cooked through in the middle (about 5-7 minutes each side).  Serve on a bun with your favorite toppings, or try the blackberry preserves mixed with ketchup & topped with goat cheese (no bun) like me, or just get creative!

*NOTE:  My husband cooked these on the grill for me.  He was worried that they would fall apart because they are very delicate, so he put them on greased tin foil to start off on the grill.  Once they cooked a few minutes on one side, he flipped them over and onto the grill without the tin foil and finished cooking them there.

No comments:

Post a Comment