November 9, 2013

Dutch Pumpkin Apple Pie


Sorry for the lack of posts lately, but I've spent the past week mostly in bed.  Not because I'm lazy - just taking it easy and recovering from surgery.  I am feeling better now, and getting around is much easier, so I decided to celebrate with one of my favorite pies.  

I love recipes that take classics and turn them into something even better, but with a twist.  This is one of those recipes. Combining apple and pumpkin pie into one pie may sound odd to you, but trust me on this - the result is truly delicious.  I've been making this pie for many years, and personally, I like it better than regular pumpkin or apple pie.  Serve something new for Thanksgiving this year, or just give this a try any time for the perfect fall dessert.  So good!


Dutch Pumpkin Apple Pie (by Nestle)

Apple Layer:
2 cups apple, cored, peeled & sliced
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp flour
1 tsp lemon juice
1/4 cinnamon
1, 9" pie shell, unbaked

Pumpkin Layer:
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 tbsp butter, melted
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375, and line your deep dish pie plate with the unbaked pie dough.  Combine the ingredients for the apple layer in a large bowl, then pour into the pie dish.  In a separate large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the pumpkin layer and pour over the apple mixture.  Bake for 30 minutes then sprinkle the crumb topping (crumb topping recipe below) evenly over the top of the pie, and bake another 20 minutes or until center of pie is set. 

Crumb Topping:  combine 1/2 cup flour, 5 tbsp sugar and 1/3 cup chopped walnuts in a bowl.  Cut in 3 tbsp cold butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs (you can also do this in a food processor to make it easier).

4 comments:

  1. This pie is absolutely delicious!! I was skeptical at first (so was my family) but your recipes have always been great so I tried it. BIG hit with everyone, including company. I think it's my new favorite pie recipe. Thank you for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to comment - it's nice to know someone is enjoying my recipes! I understand the skepticism, but the flavors really work and it is a delicious pie (one of my favs for sure)! So glad you and your family enjoyed it ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was wonderful pie. Thanks for this special recipe.

    ReplyDelete