December 5, 2013

Spaghetti Squash w/ Pesto & Beans


Thanksgiving is over and I'm still feeling full!  Time to get back on track with some healthy eating.  I've always wanted to try spaghetti squash, but oddly I can never find it at the grocery store I normally shop at.  However, I was recently shopping at a different store and wouldn't you know...they had it!  I knew when I saw them it was my chance to give it a try.  

The possibilities with spaghetti squash are endless, so I was unsure what to do.  However, since I am always trying to find vegetarian lunch options I knew that was the route I'd be headed in.  I decided on mixing it with pesto, which is one of my favorite "sauces".  I wanted to add more protein to the dish though, so I threw in some white beans.  Not only was this dish very tasty, it was filling and very satisfying.  I am excited to try other things with spaghetti squash in the future now.  Here's what I did:

Spaghetti Squash w/ Pesto & Beans

1 spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise
2-4 tbsp basil pesto - you can buy, or click here for my recipe
1/2 can white beans, rinsed & drained - I used cannellini beans
Salt & Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 375.  After you cut the squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the seeds and strings in the middle of each half.  Place face down on cookie sheet and cook in oven anywhere from 30-45 minutes - cook time will depend on how large your squash is.  You want it to be tender but not mushy.  Remove from oven and cool for about 15 minutes. 

Take a fork and "shred" the squash - it should look like thin noodles.  Once this is all done, place the squash in a bowl and add your pesto and beans and stir well to combine.  Sprinkle salt & pepper to taste.  Best served warm.  My squash had about 3 servings of squash, so I used about a tbsp of pesto per serving. 

No comments:

Post a Comment